Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Signature Walk

Hello everyone! Im back on line! And although i had no computer for a while, there were many life lessons to be had, so stay tuned as Ill be visiting my blog quite a bit over the next week or so.

Even though i had no computer, I was not at a loss for things to do (apart from unpacking boxes, cleaning, pruning and trying to keep my kids under control) because thanks to some wonderful friends, we have a coffee machine and digital set top box to expand our horizons here in Bundy. I did make a few coffees and I had the opportunity just a couple of times to turn the tele on and one show got a few minutes of my attention.

I flicked on to Americas Next Top Model, which would normally not have held my interest except that the judges were commenting on the 'walks' of the prospective models. Apparently, the judges are supposed to be able to tell by a models walk who they are, without even seeing their face and so these up and coming models were told that they cant just have a 'good' walk, they need to have a 'signature' walk.

I quickly flicked to another show but that concept kept coming back to me. As followers of Jesus, we are meant to be distinguished by our walk - by how we live. It isnt enough to have a 'good' life, nor is it enough to look or sound like a Christian, we have to live so radically different that people cant help but notice, and know whose we are.

Col 3:7-8 says "You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips."

1 John 2:6 says "Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did."

How do you think Jesus walked that was so different? What did he do that changed peoples lives? What would he do in our community today? What was Jesus 'signature walk'?

I think it is summed up in a verse from the Old Testament, Micah 6:8 "He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

We cant create our own signature walk as Christians, it is only by spending time and walking with Jesus that we fall in step with him. And it is then that people see and know instinctively that we are walking with someone they want to get to know.

Walk On!

my email

No comments: