Thursday, April 3, 2008

Get A Grip!

I have been bowling for about 8 weeks now, and was using the generic bowling balls provided, usually a different one each week as I could never find the same one as the week before. But this week, everything changed!

When I was in primary school I used to bowl in a league and I still had my marble-pink bowling ball! I decided to dig it out last week and have the holes re-drilled to fit my 'mature' fingers. I took the ball in and I thought I would have to try lots of different sizes finger holes to see which fitted best. But when I arrived, he actually measured my hand and fingers and distance and span and width and noted all these dimensions down before marking and drilling my ball.

I wasn't sure that was the right way to do it, but I trusted him and stood ready to use my 'new' ball for the first time. Much to my shock and embarrassment, my thumb got stuck in the hole and I ended up on my knees! Obviously, I thought, there must be a problem with the ball but this wasn't the case. Apparently, you cant grip a new ball like the old ones. In the old balls that have generic measurements to fit most people, you have to grip with your thumb to hold on to it, and make sure it doesn't slip away, but with a ball made to measure, designed specifically for you, you have to hold it loosely, with an 'open hand'.

The man who drills your ball doesn't fit you to pre-measured balls but measures you and fits and adjusts your ball perfectly. And God, who holds your life in his hands doesn't expect you to fit into generic moulds or roles or make you conform to others expectations, but has a specific purpose and unique attributes which allows you to fulfil that purpose for which you were created. Your life and circumstances are designed to carry out this purpose.

If you hold tightly to try to make your life go the way you want - to be in a certain financial position or in a particular role or successful in that area or pleasing those people or avoiding that perceived 'failure', you will miss the mark and the only place you'll end up is on your knees.

God has given you a life to use but you have to grip it right
You have to hold it with an open hand and let it go
And you have to trust Him

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future"

Psalm 139:13 "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mothers womb"

The last piece of advice I was given was this 'If you have any trouble, come back and see me. Tell me where it hurts. I might adjust the ball, but more than likely, Ill adjust your grip.'

Are you having trouble in your life? Are the circumstances you are in getting you down?
Take time to go see your creator
Tell him where it hurts
He might adjust your circumstances, but more than likely, he'll adjust your grip!


'I have learned to hold all things loosely,
so that God will not have to pry them out of my hands.'
Corrie ten Boom

my email

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's a good reminder for me Don, to hold things loosely and keep my eyes on Jesus. Proverbs 16:9 "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps".