Friday, November 20, 2009

Buckle Up

I saw her lean down and with significant effort pull the straps up on the back of her shoes that she had let slip down during the service because of her aching feet. She quietly moved the stool that she has to bring to rest her legs on and repositioned the cushion she needs behind her back. The preacher that morning had been speaking on mission and how we should be open to His tasks for us at any stage in life. He was a very dynamic speaker so we could tell there would be an appeal at the end. I watched her as she listened intently and as the preacher asked for those who wanted to respond to stand, she lifted herself unsteadily and used the chair in front to support her weight as she stood before her God.

Even with a body that no longer worked as it used to, and a house much quieter than it used to be, she is choosing to spend the next stage of her life faithfully serving her God. She is a faithful prayer and will now expand her ministry praying for more of those on the mission field. She also bakes for our youth ministry, to encourage the mums of the kids to stay and chat which is a great ministry for building relationships and taking opportunities when they arise to share our faith or just lend an ear.

She is a great example to me about not sitting back and letting circumstances or excuses stop us from fulfilling the calling or purpose God has for our lives. She has more reason than the rest of us to opt out. Her feet ache and her legs are weak but her faith is strong. Is there something that God is asking you to do but health or work or recreation is getting in the way? It’s time to get ready, rearrange things and listen for what God wants you to be doing. Some things might be easy: He already wants you to be in a real relationship with Him and meeting regularly with His people, but He also has a specific purpose for you to fulfil.

The God of the Universe, who sent His Son to die so that I could have a restored relationship with Him, has a plan and a purpose that is just for me. He certainly doesn’t want me just sitting here doing nothing. And when I hear His voice, when those verses that jump out at me or I recognise that quiet prompting in my heart. I will buckle up and stand before my God and say “Here I am. Send me!”. (Isaiah 6:8)

"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Eph 2:8-10

my email

2 comments:

Lauren Delaine said...

AMEN!

You know, this title really jumped out at me.

I've been saying that phrase a lot lately. When I'm bathing Sophie and just about to rinse her hair, I'll say, "buckle up, Buttercup," repeating the words of a commercial for a cruise line.

She knows that commercial all too well. We both get tickled at the phrase.

Now, when we say it, I'll think of this post. I don't want apathy to settle in deep. It's all too easy for us.

There's a harvest out there.

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Just beautiful!! I was at a banquet the other day where a man was honored for volunteering who had no legs. Talk about robbing us of any excuse!